this is one of my favorite easy recipes. you can go all out and make your own marinara sauce or you can use a big short cut and buy your favorite jar of store-bought marinara and enhance.
ingredients for the meatballs:
- 1/2 cup finely diced onions (optional- i didn’t use them)
- 2 teaspoons evoo
- 2 crushed & minced garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup parmesan reggiano
- 1 1/2 pounds of ground meat (I used 1/2 pound beef, 1/2 pound veal, 1/2 pound spicy italian sausage)
- 1 cup italian breadcrumbs
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh chopped italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
directions for meatballs:
- begin by heating up the extra virgin olive oil in a sauce pan. add garlic and the onion. cook until soft.
- preheat oven to 350 f.
- mix the meats, breadcrumbs, parmesan, parsley, salt, water and red pepper flakes.
- sear meatballs for a few minutes in a pan just to brown the outside.
- finish cooking the meatballs in the oven for 15 minutes.
ingredients for assembly:
- cooked rigatoni pasta
- 2 table spoons of evoo
- 1/2 cup mozzarella
- 1 jar of your favorite marinara sauce
- parmesan to taste
- red pepper flakes to taste
- fresh chopped italian parsley to garnish
for the assembly:
- cook rigatoni according to package.
- heat extra virgin olive oil in large sauce pan. my favorite is the le creuset “every day pan.”
- add crushed garlic, salt, italian seasoning and any other spices that you’d like until browned.
- add your favorite jar of marinara sauce and mix together.
- add cooked rigatoni.
- add mozzarella, parmesan, and meatballs. mix together.
- bake in oven for 2 minutes.
- top with italian parsley garnish and serve.