it’s soup season! i love the cold weather and being able to come home and have some warm, yummy soup makes me very happy. after i made chicken noodle soup earlier this week, i used the chicken bones to create a homemade stock. i decided to make chicken tortilla soup with the stock before it spoils. my husband really loves brothy soups with lots of chunky substance and chicken tortilla soup is always one of his requests for dinner. we have tried the grocery store kits when we were feeling lazy but my recipe is really easy and so flavorful! caution: it’s pretty spicy so tone down the spices if you can’t handle the heat 🙂 here we go!
- 1 red or orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped and minced
- 3 chicken breasts
- 16 oz chicken stock (or 1 small can is fine)
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can diced or smashed tomatoes
- 1 can rotel with green chiles
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (we like tons of spice!)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 2 chipotle peppers (more or less to taste)
- cilantro for garnish
- lime for garnish
- cheese for garnish
- tortilla chips for garnish
- sour cream for garnish
instructions are as follows:
- begin by heating a deep dutch oven or stock pot to medium heat. i used this one by le creuset. it’s my favorite! add a drizzle of olive oil, chicken breast and the minced garlic. let it cook for a few minutes while you prep the veggies.
- add the chopped onion, bell peppers and chipotle peppers and cook for a few minutes.
- add seasonings: chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper.
- pour in the chicken stock and stir. take the bottle or can of chicken stock and fill it up two or three times with water and add to the pot to dilute the stock.
- add the black beans, kidney beans, corn and all of the tomatoes. if you’d like, you can add as much water as you’d like to thin out the soup.
- cook for a half hour on medium heat with a slow simmer. remove the chicken and shred. then add the chicken back into the soup.
- cook for another half hour on medium heat and then ladle into bowls.
- top with any or all of the following: squeeze of lime, cilantro, sour cream, cheese and tortilla chips. ps- i added avocado last minute!
this soup serves 6 people with leftovers. it was so yummy and flavorful. you could try making variations of the soups by adding different beans or veggies. maybe adding jalapeno or subbing some of the spices. also shout out to the pioneer woman collection for the cutest bowls ever! happy eating!