i came across a picture of a traditional shepherd’s pie recently and decided to try it out for myself. since the british typically use lamb in their shepherd’s pie, i decided to go with that as well. it was super easy to throw together and the ingredients were super easy to track down. here we go!
- 1 lb ground lamb (or beef if you prefer).
- a few teaspoons of olive oil.
- 2-3 carrot sticks, sliced.
- 1 whole small onion.
- a few cloves of garlic, minced.
- the leaves from a few sprigs of fresh thyme.
- 3 teaspoons tomato paste.
- 4-5 splashes of worcestershire sauce
- a few dashes of A1 sauce. (optional- I thought it would add a nice flavor)
- 1-1/2 cups of frozen peas.
- 1 can of guinness.
- 4-5 russet potatoes, peeled, sliced.
- 1/2 cup milk or half & half.
- half of a stick of butter.
- handful of cheese, optional.
now that we have all of our ingredients together, let’s get this party started!
1. preheat the oven to 400 degrees f. drizzle the olive oil into a large sauce pan on medium heat or dutch oven pot. i used the everyday pan by le creuset which i love and was perfect for this dish.
one of my shortcut items that i use are these frozen blocks of minced garlic that you can pop in without the whole peeling and mincing mess. you can buy them at trader joes or heb.
4. add in the 3 teaspoons of tomato paste and frozen peas and stir it into the mixture.
5. after cooking for one or two minutes, add in the dashes of worcestershire sauce and a1 sauce. continue stirring while you pour in the guinness.
6. turn up the heat to a simmer and let the sauce thicken. if it looks too dry, add a little more guinness.
7. in the mean time, begin working on the mashed potatoes. peel, chop and boil several russet potatoes. drain and place in a blender. add the half stick of butter, milk or cream and begin to beat the potatoes. season with salt and pepper.
8. once the sauce has thickened, remove from heat and begin to cover with the mashed potatoes.
9. cover the entire dish with potatoes, sealing the edges and place in the 400f oven for 25 minutes.
10. after 20 minutes, i took the pan out and added shredded cheddar cheese because i am completely and totally incapable of controlling myself. why not add cheese?
11. five minutes later, it was done and it was glorious.
i would recommend this to everyone and it was fun and easy to make. i can’t wait for leftovers!